Thursday, July 15, 2010

Making Jam for the First Time

Recipe: Traditional Strawberry Jam



First and foremost... of all the things learned today... know this: Jams, jellies and preserves are made over high heat. Do not attempt this on a 90-degree afternoon! LOL

There is no explanation for why I wanted to try this... but it is something I've wanted to try for years. Now that we have the equipment to do it, it's worth a shot! It actually turned out to be a little more fun than expected!

I remember, as a little kid, my grandmother's friend, Boggess, making jam in her kitchen. We'd go over to visit and the apartment would be a million degrees because the giant pots were on the stove with jam bubbling away. Sometimes, I got to help stir... and, even better... got to taste!

This batch of jam turned out pretty well. Guess what some of you are getting as holiday gifts? ;)

No comments: