Monday, July 7, 2008

Dropping Some Tonnage... Again

How many times can I go on a diet? How many times do I have to try to shed some pounds before I actually get it done? What will it take to summon the will power to make it happen?

Here we go. I'm trying again.

When I arrived in Columbus six and a half years ago, I weighed 170 pounds. That's almost exactly what I'm supposed to weigh for my height (5'11"). But then I discovered I had moved to a really fun town... and I made some really great friends... and we love to eat and drink. A lot.

It doesn't take long. 170 became 185. Then 190. Then 205.

This morning, it was 221.

I am, officially, a cow.

Clinically obese.

Before I went to New Zealand, I worked out, ate a little better and dropped some tonnage. I was down to 206 the day we left. I've been a moose ever since.

This time I have some help from a friend. We're in it together. We're keeping food journals, writing down every calorie that goes in our mouths. It's kind of sobering to see it in print. Yikes.

We're also going to try using the logs at www.fitday.com. They track your weight, your food/calories, your activities, etc. The hardest part will be just keeping up with the entries. But the reports seem pretty good.

Wish us luck!

No comments: