Friday, May 2, 2008

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?


With a few drinks in me, it sounded like a good idea. "Sure. Let's do it!"

And I filled out the forms... signed them... handed them over.

Apparently, I'm an idiot.

I have signed up to play softball this summer. Every Sunday. And there seem to be practices to go along with it. Who knew?

We spent a good chunk of Friday afternoon at Berliner Park tossing around a ball and re-learning what it feels like to throw. Then we headed off to the batting cages in Westerville (the Berliner cages were closed).

I haven't played ball since I was 8 years old, running around a minor-league diamond in Bucyrus with a t-shirt emblazoned with the V.F.W. logo. It wasn't the game that I despised so much... it was the running. As Colleen would say, "Mama don't run!"

But here we go. This might actually be fun.

I'm a little surprised at how it all kind of comes back. Keep your eye on the ball. Keep that elbow up. I might remember how to do this after all.

No comments: